History of the Deraprtment
Teaching of technology in Poland launched the Preparatory School of the Polytechnic Institute in Warsaw in the years 1826 to 1831. Efforts to restore the independent existence of the Polish nation consisted in attempts to create an independent industry and well prepared management staff. This very specific goal of technological education prevailed also authors of the program of study at Polytechnic Institute in Warsaw in the years 1901 to 1905. After the outbreak of the First World War, work on launching the Technical University of Warsaw have been resumed. Warsaw University of Technology began its activity in 1915, and in the years 1917 to 1918 Professor Boleslaw Miklaszewski was responsible for Chair of General Technology. In 1919 Chair of Inorganic and General Technology and Chair of Great Inorganic Industry have been separated. The head of Chair of Great Inorganic Industry became a Professor Jozef Zawadzki.
Technology as a subject of teaching at that time boiled down to the description of existing processes, and as an object of study to develop new ways of producing mainly based on chemical research. Professor Zawadzki as one of the first treated the technological processes as physical and chemical phenomena. Therefore in the study and teaching he get off the recipes in favor of exploration general laws governing the physical and chemical processes. This thesis he radically applied to his research, whereas lectures and then the textbook were a compromise between the commonly used description of processes and his novel recognition. In the education of students he attached great importance to their research work at the laboratory by claiming that it provides "high culture of the mind" and forms technological thinking. These were further strengthened by the required industrial practice.
In 1951, after the death of Professor Jozef Zawadzki, the leadership of Chair took over Professor Stefan Weychert, still searching for general rules governing the course of the processes and underlying technology. According to Professor Stefan Weychert, the education of chemical engineers who are capable of creative work in the field of technology requires the simultaneous acquisition of knowledge and shaping of engineer attitudes. It follows the concept of linkage of the lecture, counting and auditory laboratory exercises with real industrial processes. This concept was conducted by inter alia exercises at semi-technical apparatus at the technological hall, as well as the transfer of some classes into industrial plants as field exercises (two weeks) and scientific camps (three weeks). The research led by students and employees acquainted with the industrial problems and allowed the confrontation of laboratory results with the large-scale processes.Since 1982, the Heads of Inorganic Technology and Ceramics Department were successively:
History of teaching of ceramics at Faculty of Chemistry Warsaw University of Technology
Teaching ceramic technology at Faculty of Chemistry WUT has a long tradition. At Handicraft - Chemical Department at the Preparatory School of the Polytechnic Institute in the academic year 1830-1831 widely understood ceramics was taught at a special chemistry course by Professor Zdzislaw Zdzitowiecki. In the program it was written:
"Special chemistry course covering goods which by general expression can be determined as metallurgical products will include several branches, each of which is devoted to different type of manufactures and methods for their production. It includes smelting in large quantities, the so-called metallurgy, the fabrication of glass, crystals, porcelain and faience, also the study of calcareous cements will be joined. ".After the establishment of the Warsaw Polytechnic Institute in 1898 the system of study was very similar to present and ceramics was taught in the program of chemical technology by Jozef J. Boguski. After 1918 ceramic group was lead by:
|góra strony strona główna admin|